What is that in my rearview mirror?

The year was 1980 and the interstate speed limit was 55mph! A friend and I were traveling from Auburn to Montgomery and there in my rear view mirror was a sight I had never encountered.  Surely those flashing lights were not meant for me but oh yes they were!  Thinking no one would ever know, I followed the directions on the back of my new ticket and mailed my cashier’s check.  A few weeks passed and my parents came to visit me.  As my dad handed me the mail, I had to face the music on why I had mail from the Macon County Courthouse.  I missed the info that one’s penitence was increased if the driver was going more than 20 miles above the speed limit so my check was returned to the address on my license, my parents!  The look on their face was much worse than telling the officer that I did not see him!
If I had only known he was hiding at the top of the ramp I would have decreased my speed! But I learned and that was the most important task of the day.
How many times do we eat and think that it really will not matter? Whether it is just a bite or two, not tracking for several days, or skipping activity we think it won’t matter.  And then we learn!
Just like I now check the ramps, the median, and my speed limit because I do not want to work hard just to give up the cash, what have you learned that helps you to stay focused and within your speed limit (ppdt) on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment