Wow - What a Day!

While I could have gone to a public library for electricity to access the Internet, I find great comfort in a public restaurant with a hot cup of coffee. I should be thankful the kitchen was not able to serve!

Like so many of you the straight line winds took my power Wednesday morning.  So off to school I went with the "best face"" I could put on in the dark.  After arriving we found out we were leaving.  School is a crazy thing when it comes to weather.  Trying to maintain comfort and safety for so many students.  It is not just about the 8 to 3 time frame administrators have to consider but also the transportation home.  Thursday was announced a no school day early on and now mid-day, Friday has been cancelled as well.  I teach with the Jefferson County system where 29 of our 55 schools do not have power.  So just imagine the number of students without power and the devastation to the roads the buses would have to travel.  My daughter, niece and nephew (all students at UA) are safe and sound.  UA has cancelled finals giving the students the option to take their current grade.  May graduates will receive their degree in August.

We have WW staff and members who have also suffered from the devastation of this storm.  WW would like to hold a clothes/necessities drive to help in the efforts to assists families who lost everything.  This would be a great time to clean out our closets and share those items we may be holding on to in case we need them.  If we share them, we can't need them and so many in our state do NEED them.  You can drop off your items at any of our centers; Hoover, Trussville, or Tuscaloosa.  If you attend a meeting at a different location, I will be happy to take your donation to the center.

I hope you all are safe and will see you soon in the meeting room.

No comments:

Post a Comment